Sunday, March 23, 2014
Had in an order for two "Arty" themed birthday cards for the same person. Tried two new designs with this in mind.
The first, on Kraft Card, was created by masking off an area of the card using post-it notes and then applying media directly to the card. I had a go at heat embossing a cowslip stamp and then layering on gelatos and pastels after. My edges weren't super tidy so I added strips of ribbon either side.
Greeting stamped directly onto card, whilst " Grandad was printed and matt&layer'd on.
Had a go at this design using some Hero Arts stamps from there Stamp Your Story Brush Strokes set. The colours are all distress inks. I paper-pieced the brushes and added them after.
Made a really cheerful card, which is great for a man's card, they can tend to feel a bit solemn.
p.s. Cowslip Stamp was also a Hero Arts Cling Stamp called Elegant Weeds.
Thought I would share some photos of my Village in a Box, now it is finally finished! This was a brilliant course that Helen (From Craft Magic Crafters) ran, last year? Was it really so long a go? Gosh. I am slow to post pics...
Though I assembled this mainly in the workshop I didn't have much time to add all the details I wanted....two hours is never enough! I purchased some die-cut icicles that I added to the houses and to the outer edge of the box. The model trees were anchored down using air-dry clay. The penguins were purchased from a toy shop! And the rosette originally intended for on top of the box ended up on the ramp/flap displaying the greeting when the box was opened.
The main change I made at home was that I extended the base of the box to include a hidden compartment for the battery pack. The underneath of the box still has a hexagon of snowy paper as a covering but there is a tiny slot for you to reach the on and off switch for the lights! Whilst two houses got a full set of lights, the final house had a few inside, to make it look like someone might be at home.
I did purchase a Momma Penguin for inside the box too but the scale was just all wrong, so she is now a figure head/handle on the lid! I used the extra die-cut icicle strips to disguise the false bottom of the box.
All done! Don't think it'll ever be for sale, too much time and energy spent to work out what the price would be :) Also....model trees are darned expensive!
Thanks for reading. Thoroughly recommend this workshop if Helen does it again. :)
(Workshop info usually on this page)